August 28, 2011

The Bike Boulevard

About a month ago, my neighbors and I got a postcard from the City inviting us to a meeting at the library, where we'd be presented with the City's proposal to turn Ruskin Street into a bike boulevard.

So what's the plan?

The City wants to spend $17,000 posting 44 signs and painting 56 "sharrow" stencils (pictured at left) along the 8/10 of a mile of Ruskin Street, plus a block of Elka Lane on the north end. The idea is that by signing and stenciling the street, bicyclists will be diverted off busy Sherman Avenue a block to the west, and bike and car traffic will coexist harmoniously along Ruskin.

At the meeting on August 15, City Traffic Engineer David Dryer and Bike/Pedestrian Coordinator Arthur Ross presented a PowerPoint slideshow. Their presentation emphasized the innocuous nature of the plan and the generic benefits of bike improvement projects. Afterward, our alderperson, Satya Rhodes-Conway, led a question/comment period.

Both my wife and I observed that most questions and concerns came from our neighbors, while most comments in support came from bike advocates and folks outside the neighborhood. Several of us raised concerns including cross traffic, the suitability of Ruskin as a priority bike route (particularly on its hilly southern end), and longer-term changes that might result from this plan.

After the meeting I sent a follow-up email to Ald. Rhodes-Conway elaborating on my comments. A week later I emailed Traffic Engineering with three specific questions about the proposal. I haven't yet received a response to - or even an acknowledgment of - either email.

Why not?

Update 8/30: David Dryer replied to my email. More on that in a subsequent post.
Further update 8/30: Ald. Rhodes-Conway also replied to me.

2 comments:

  1. I live at 1826 Sheridan St, one half block from Ruskin. I drive Ruskin a lot going both north and south depending on my destination. I also bike it several times a week, again, depending on my destination. I think the bike boulevard is a good idea, and I believe the changes involved are so minor that after a few weeks the neighbors will not even notice they are there. I look forward to it.
    In the interest of full disclosure, my job involves bicycle and pedestrian planning all around the Midwest. I have seen concerns about bike facilities in almost every community I have worked in. In every case, if the bike facility gets put in, it works out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For future reference, I allowed the previous comment because it included your address, but in general I'm going to require you post your name as well. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated. Anonymous comments must include your name and location/organization.